Polenta / corn meal: a gluten free substitute, once known as peasant food has worked its little way up to gourmet kitchens and tables.
It’s quick and easy to make and full of flavour. Although I would not call it a superfood, yet it is on my “menu” at home.
- Contains calcium, iron, zinc, phosphorus, sodium and magnesium.
- Small amounts of: B + A + E vitamins
- Normally cooked with butter/oil so the calories are not so low. (as long as you are active it shouldn’t be a problem 🙂 )
- Bring some water to the boil
- Add polenta grains into a saucepan
- Add some hot water to just cover it the polenta
- Add a pinch of salt and any herbs you wish – pepper, rosemary….
- Add a full teaspoon of vegan butter
- Keep stirring and add hot water until the consistency is smooth and thick (around 5 mins.)
- (USE A MASHER HERE) (FOR HARD POLENTA KEEP READING)
- Transfer polenta into a shaped dish – LINED WITH CLINGFILM
- Wait till it has cooled and cover with clingfilm and refrigerate for at least 2 hours
- After two hours the polenta block should come out very easily
- Shape into chunky fries or into whatever shape you wish
- Place into a baking tray or frying pan along with some oil and cook until brown.