Happy New year to all, hope it’s a good one!
Here is a quick and simple recipe for those who love green tea or want a healthy dessert alternative, (after all those heavy holiday desserts!!) it does not end up too sweet so you can add more sugar if needed or even top it with some coconut or cashew cream. In Asia it is more commonly found combined with red beans and glutinous rice balls.
It’s also allergen free from pretty much everything so hopefully it can appeal to many.
- Agar Agar Powder / Gelatine (1 heaped tablespoon)
- Coconut Sugar (1 heaped tablespoon)
- Pure organic Matcha Powder (1 heaped tablespoon)
- Goji Berries (Superfood Lab)
- White Mulberries (Superfood Lab)
- Boiling Water (200-300ML)
What is Agar Agar?
Agar Agar comes from seaweed (red sea algae). It has no flavors or smell which is why is can be incorporated into several recipes as a substitute for gelatin/corn starch, flours, thickeners or anything that needs setting.
Agar Agar is free from corn, soy, gluten, yeast, nuts, starch, dairy, preservatives and yeast. It contains no calories, no sugar, no carbs and no fat and high fibre!
Its micronutrients include: calcium, iron, zinc, magnesium, folate and potassium. It can also help with high cholesterol, constipation issues, excess fat, inflammation and respiration problems.
Benefits of Mulberries and Goji Berries:
- Great source of Anti-oxidants
- Immune System Booster
- Supports blood sugar and blood pressure levels
- High in Vitamins and Minerals
- Overall Superfood
- Melt the agar agar powder in boiling water in a saucepan and stir until fully dissolved (takes a bit longer than gelatine powder)
- Add in the coconut sugar
- Add in the pure matcha powder
- Whisk till everything is combined and transfer into a glass container
- Once cooled transfer into the fridge
- Once gelled (around 4 hours) place a spatula around the sides and turn the dish upside down onto a board or plate and slice into desired shape
- Add on goji berries and mulberries
*top tip- if you can’t find agar agar powder grind the agar agar sheets or strips in a blender until they turn into a fine powder – it will dissolve much easier.
Check out Superfood Lab’s website for more information on their healthy products: http://www.superfoodlab.com
That’s all friends