I’ve always wanted to make some recipes with puff or phyllo pastry yet it’s hard to come by in Asia (especially if it’s gluten-free and plant-based too) but I finally got sent some !! (Head = boiling with ideas – yes this is my artistic outlet)
These little bites turned out SO MUCH better than I expected. I used quality ingredients, lots of spices, herbs and made a mess of it along the way, of course! I ended up making a few shapes just to experiment. This recipe is filled with fresh veggies, fermented, anti-inflammatory and adaptogenic goodness.
Prep time: 10 mins
Assembling time: 10mins
Cook time: 12-15 mins
- Sprouted tempeh
- Shiitake mushrooms (Dried)
- Coconut Aminos, nutritional yeast, pink salt, black pepper, lemon juice, turmeric, garlic, coriander powder
- Heat oven to 180°C
- Seep the mushrooms in hot water till soft (then remove the stems) keeping the broth for another recipe
- Quickly blanch a whole lot of spinach or use thawed spinach
- Crumble the tempeh (no pre-cooking needed)
- Dice everything up into small pieces
- In a large bowl combine all the ingredients together to create a sticky filling – the tempeh is the glue to this
- Now roll out your store bought pastry and cut into triangles or circles (you can use a mason jar lid to shape this)
- Put the filling inside and wrap nicely. Place onto a baking tray
- I did add a touch of saffron oil to give it extra colour (optional)
- Bake for 12-15 minutes
You can use hard tofu, potatoes, green beans, peas, pine nuts as well. It was so crispy crunchy! But don’t ask me how to store or reheat them ….because I don’t know!
Enjoy! Happy Holidays!